Sunday, March 02, 2008

Leona Lewis To Crack US

Leona Lewis has agreed to perform on this year’s American Idol in an attempt to crack the US.

Simon Cowell has said that he wants Leona to sing during the final rounds of the series to help promote her to a large TV audience.

A programme source said: “We always like to invite established guests onto the show to give the contestants an idea of the level they need to reach. Leona, with her incredible voice, fits the bill perfectly.”

It has been reported that Leona is very keen to crack America in 2008 and has claimed that she is willing to put in the necessary hard work to achieve success over there.

She said that “It’s really exciting but I’m just taking one step at a time. It’s a fresh start for me over there because they won’t know me from X Factor. It’s a new challenge but one that I’m excited about. I think you have to be totally dedicated and hard-working. Things don’t just fall on your lap, you must always remember that. You have to keep at it for success.”

Last month, Clive Davis has picked Leona Lewis as the special new artist at his annual Pre-Grammy Party. Previous honorees include Maroon 5, Carrie Underwood, Alicia Keys, and Jennifer Hudson.

Watch her performance of 'Bleeding Love' at the party here.

Lewis, a 22-year old London native, recently won "X Factor," Simon Cowell's British talent show. Here debut album, "Spirit," is set to be released April 8 on J Records/SyCo Music.

Davis' Pre-Grammy Party was held last Feb 9 at the Beverly Hilton. She met Whitney Huoston along with other A-list celebrity in the said party.

Leona Lewis was left "overwhelmed" when Whitney Houston said she was a "baby version" of herself.

The 'Bleeding Love' singer met her "all-time musical hero" at producer Clive Davis' Annual Grammy Party in Los Angeles last weekend, but could barely speak when she was introduced to her idol.

She said: "It was amazing, I got to meet my all-time musical hero Whitney Houston - who looked so incredible. Clive introduced us. I don't think I managed to say much though, I was overwhelmed!

"I was told afterwards that when I performed she had said to a friend at the record label, 'My God, she's a baby me!' Wow - what a huge compliment!"

Leona sang her hit single 'Bleeding Love' and covered 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' in front of a star-studded audience, which included Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys and Usher.

The British star admits she found the whole experience "surreal".

She said: "It's been almost surreal and feels just so wonderful that I performed in front of so many people I admire - especially that Whitney even knows who I am and said that about me when I've been such a fan all these years!"

Clive - who chose Leona as his 'Special New Artist' guest, an honour previously bestowed upon Maroon 5 and Jennifer Hudson - said the 22-year-old star was the perfect choice to entertain his A-list guests.

He said: "Leona's range, her feel for music - it's clear she has the passion for music. A year ago, right here, we gathered the best writers and producers of the world. We had her sing in a living room of a suite and she floored them. It led to getting incredible material which has made up her album."

Do you think that she will crack the US?

I think that she is up there with the best female artists and she will make it very big not only in the US but the wole world.

No comments: