Sunday, July 08, 2007

Canadian Idol Watch Season 5 - Martha Joy - Filipino

Martha Joy

Updated Wed. Jul. 4 2007 12:46 AM ET

Age: 16
Occupation: High School Student
Hometown: Toronto, ON
Audition City: London, ON
Place of Birth: Toronto, ON
Nickname: MJ or Martitty
Favourite Song: 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler
Couldn't Live Without: "My laptop"
Would Like to Meet: "My grandfather"
Motto: "Singing is not the only thing I can do...but it is the only thing that I want to do"

"Even though I might come across as a very shy girl initially, I want Canadian Idol viewers to know that I am an outgoing and funny person."

Having a European father and an Asian mother, Martha draws a lot of her inspiration from her family. "My mom has been one of the most inspiring people in my life. She has overcome many obstacles in her life to get me to where I am today. Both of my parents have been there for me from the beginning, through the good times and the bad."

Martha is currently a Grade 11 student at Cardinal Carter Academy for the Arts in Toronto. She enjoys eating Chinese food, hanging out with her friends and playing with her two wiener dogs, Tootsie Joy and Peanuts.

Martha credits her selection to the Canadian Idol Top 22 to her years of vocal training and love for music. But it has been no easy ride. "I was most surprised by the rigorous schedule of the competition," says Martha. "On TV it seems so glamorous, but behind the scenes it can be emotionally and physically draining." Martha says she learned from the challenge of selecting the perfect song. "The hardest part was selecting the right song. With little sleep, it taught me how to work under pressure and perform at my best."

Martha has the ability to sing in six different languages, including Portuguese, Filipino, Italian, Spanish, French and English. However, even though she can sing in six languages, she only speaks Filipino and English.

What is Martha looking forward to about this season of Canadian Idol? "I feel most comfortable when I'm on stage singing in front of a big audience," she says. "Viewers can expect to see a solid performance (from me) every week."

Song List And Video Performance

Top 22 - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing (Regine Velasquez Version)


Top 18 - To Where You Are (Josh Groban)

No comments: