Saturday, July 21, 2007

Canadian Idol Watch Top 10 Favorite Performances

Greg Neufeld - All These Things That I've Done

Greg Neufeld's biographical introduction showed him playing with his band DiMarco in front of a screaming crowd in his home town of Abbotsford, B.C. Despite weeks of singing songs the judges just couldn't get enough of, his version of The Killers' "All These Things That I've Done" earned what seemed like his worst review yet in both his years in the competition.

"I think that you broke out of the stuff you're been doing into stuff you shouldn't be doing,:" Zack admonished before moving into slight gibberish. "Your upper register was like chalk nails on a board."

Sass disagreed.

"I liked that a lot," she said. "You broke out of the stuff you've been doing normally and you really delivered it, that was a really good performance."

Martha Joy - The Power of Love


Before her rendition of her second Celine Dion song in a row, Martha Joy took the show's viewers to a large family gathering - one of many where she always seems to find herself singing. Her choice of "The Power of Love" was crystal clear, but left the judges wondering what else she could do.

"I thought vocally really strong but... I felt the arrangement of that song seemed deliberate and slow and it felt like you were just milking it instead of just going with it," noted Jake. "You can sing well. We already know that"

"I'm at the point now where I'm absolutely convinced of your skill set," added Farley. "You are undeniably amazing, straight up."

Tara Oram - You Win My Love


Tara Oram's bio took her back to her home island of Newfoundland, where she tearfully greeted a mob of fans upon getting off her airplane. Her version of Shania Twain's "You Win My Love" was likely enough to win her a spot in the Top 9, the judges thought.

"The performance was really strong like it always is from you and you know your voice and I think you do a great job with what you've got," said Sass.

"There are some limitations to your range and the top of what you do," said Zack, who then changed tactic by listing the ways Tara maneovers around her shortcomings with grace. "You cut off the note and you throw to the other thing or whatever. That was the first time since the 22 started that I actually really dug what you did."

No comments: